TalesBetweenthePages

Tales Between the Pages

A Reader's Guide to Authors and Books www.talesbetweenthepages.com

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure: The "Good Parts" Version, Abridged
William Goldman

The Seers (Holders, #2)

The Seers (Holders, #2) - Julianna Scott

Read the full review on Tales Between the Pages

...

What I enjoy about Scott’s writing style is that the plot is fast-paced but the characters don’t move around a lot. Meaning, that there is generally one major setting for the entire novel. It was St. Brigid’s in “The Holders” and Adare Manor in “The Seers.” Sometimes it’s exhausting following a character all over creation. We really get to know an area when the character stays put and experiences all there is to offer. Adare Manor is certainly a gorgeous place, both in Scott’s description of it and in photos that I’ve seen on the internet.

So why do I think “The Seers” falls into the sophomore slump? It was the last quarter of the book.

The kidnapping of Jocelyn and Steven didn’t feel realistic. It was hard for me to believe that a few Bunnaidh buffoons could really overpower one of the most powerful Holders in existence. Really hard. It was also really hard for me to believe that Becca could launch a rescue mission with nothing but Alex’s ability to help her. Surely Darragh (the villain and just as powerful as Jocelyn) would have spells in place that would keep people like Alex from casting false images in the compound. Darragh needs to go back to villain school. I’m also trying to come to terms with Steven’s fate. I keep telling myself that they will find some miraculous cure in the next book. Hopefully I’m right.

(show spoiler)

...

I want to take a minute to talk about Bastian. I was totally convinced that he was going to double cross Becca. I was wrong. He was an interesting character. He has his own secrets that are shocking and exciting. I liked the friendship that developed between he and Becca. They are uniquely able to understand each other. He’s protective over his brother, Steven, in the same way that she is protective over her own brother.

So, as it turns out, the only reason why I didn’t like this book as much is because I found the last action sequence too unbelievable. If it had ended on a stronger note, I wouldn’t have even thought of the sophomore slump.

But, “The Seers” was a good read. I really like this series and can’t wait to read the next.