TalesBetweenthePages

Tales Between the Pages

A Reader's Guide to Authors and Books www.talesbetweenthepages.com

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure: The "Good Parts" Version, Abridged
William Goldman
Bich Minh Nguyen
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Bridget Jones's Diary

Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding You can read the whole review at Tales Between the Pages

I came into this book having seen the movie. I still haven’t decided which is better. Does one have to be better than the other?

In any case, I really liked this book. I love that it’s set up as a diary, as well. Although, I will say that I often skipped the date headings … so sometimes I didn’t know what month I was in. I read some review on Goodreads that mentioned that it just didn’t seem realistic that she could keep a minute-by-minute diary as everything happened. I don’t think that’s what she did. I tend to think that Bridget wrote down everything toward the end of the evening. She could count her drinks/cigarettes/lottery tickets better that way.

What surprised me about Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding is that there are quite a few feminist themes in it. Bridget’s friend Sharon calls the games men play: “fuckwittage” and tells them all that they’re better off without men who play “fuckwittage.”

The only thing that I didn’t like about the story is the Bridget’s mom/Julio fraud story line. I guess people get duped every day, but I’d like to think her mom was smarter than that. Still, it makes for a zany story.

Bridget may seem like a caricature because she has so many flaws, vices, and mishaps, but really Fielding is making her relate-able to almost every woman. We’ve obsessed about weight, men, smoking, our appearances, etc. for so long. Bridget embodies all of our insecurities. And you know what? It’s ok. She ends up happy. I think Fielding tells us, through Bridget, that we’re going to be ok, too.