TalesBetweenthePages

Tales Between the Pages

A Reader's Guide to Authors and Books www.talesbetweenthepages.com

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure: The "Good Parts" Version, Abridged
William Goldman
Bich Minh Nguyen
A Clash of Kings
George R.R. Martin

Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber  - Diana Gabaldon This review originally appeared at Tales Between the Pages

I recently finished Dragonfly in Amber, the second book in the Outlander series, by Diana Gabaldon.

This book and I have a complicated relationship. An “I-love-you-I-hate-you-I-love-you” kind of debilitating relationship that eats every bit of your soul. I started reading this book two different times in the past and always stopped reading at the same spot, never picking it up again. This time, I was determined to finish it.

Man, am I glad that I did. To be honest, I cannot even remember why I put the book down to begin with. I LOVED Outlander with a kind of obsessed love that has you constantly thinking about the the book rather than real life. What’s the most interesting about Dragonfly in Amber is that I didn’t have that obsessive impulse to finish it, yet now that it’s over, I cannot stop thinking about it. Weird, right? I’m trying to figure out why. Why didn’t my obsessive love of these characters kick in until after the book was over?

I think it’s because the narrative is ultimately different than it was in Outlander, which took a linear path. Readers left off with Claire telling Jamie she was pregnant. Dragonfly starts in the 1960′s with Claire and her daughter, Brianna visiting the very stone circle that Claire time-traveled through in the 1940′s. Whoa. Shock, right? How did Claire get back to the present? Why did she leave Jamie? What the hell happened? Well, that’s a part of the problem with this book. Our questions don’t even start to get answered until about a hundred pages in. We’re forced to navigate in the present, searching for answers with Claire and Brianna. It’s more than a little frustrating, especially for this Jamie-obsessed girl.

However, if you can persist through the frustration, Dragonfly in Amber will not leave you wanting. Claire and Jamie’s story is just as exciting and haunting as it was in Outlander. The narrative, set in the present, shifts back to the past and you’ll be sucked into the story of Claire and Jamie, facing treason, murder, and a never-ending passion for one another through such a tumultuous time in Scotland. By the time the past shifts back to the present at the end of the novel, you’ll have forgotten all about your frustration and be left with a multitude of emotions for the love of Claire and Jamie – a love that spans all of time and space.

I definitely recommend this series to anyone who enjoys a bit of fantasy mixed with romance during an amazing period in history, 1740′s Scotland.